Soto Cano Air Base Real Estate Master Plan | Honduras
Soto Cano Air Base in Honduras is the hub of U.S. cooperation with partner nations for security, humanitarian assistance, and disaster relief in Central and South America and the Caribbean — a mission anchored by maintaining and operating the airfield there.
Faced with the challenges of the tropical climate, the local availability of labor and materials for construction and maintenance, and the non-permanent nature of the facilities and operations, Installation Management Command, in coordination with the US Army Corps of Engineers, turned to WSP to develop bespoke plans and guidelines that would meet the unique needs of the facility.
WSP has prepared the Facility Vision Plan, Facility Planning Standards and two Area Development Plans for the Soto Cano Air Base Industrial and Airfield Districts.
- The Soto Cano Master Plan provides analysis and guidance for the future development of green buildings, streets and infrastructure with the aim of creating more sustainable and energy-efficient facilities, a safer working environment, greater resources social and recreational activities and compatibility with Honduran hosts. .
- A transportation network plan and building placement standards separated heavy and tactical vehicles from pedestrian and EZ-GO lanes.
- The Green Infrastructure Plan introduced standards for integrating a hierarchy of open spaces to support social interactions, physical and mental health, and the preservation of natural vegetation and water resources.
- Climate-appropriate building standards have encouraged natural ventilation, pest-resistant materials, and building methods that can be supported by local people.
- Area Development Plans organized industrial districts and the airfield around streamlined workflows and compact footprints that were more easily secured, had better pedestrian accommodation, and improved workflow accountability.